PUBLISHED ON : 12 Apr 2014
CATEGORIES & TAGS : Main Course
Stir Fried Basil Spicy Crabs
Stir fried crabs in a spicy sauce laced with rice wine, rose wine, Shaoxing wine and Chaozhou satay sauce, infused by the fragrance of fresh basil. The freshness of the crab combined with the richness of the sauce makes this dish particularly appetizing.
- Meaty mud crab 1kg (washed and chopped into pieces)
- Dried shallot 30g (finely chopped)
- Garlic 30g (finely chopped)
- Bird’s eye chilies 5 (cut into thin rings)
- Basil 3 stalks (leaves only)
- Finely chopped Chinese parsley for garnish
- Chicken stock 1 cup
- Mei kuei lu chiew (Chinese rose wine) 25ml
- Shaoxing wine 15ml
- Mi jiu (Rice wine) 15ml
- Oil 150ml
- Satay paste (Han river bridge brand) 50g
- Salt 1/3 tea spoon
- Sugar 1/2 tea spoon
- Heat oil in wok, stir fry dried shallot, garlic and chilies till golden and fragrant.
- Add satay paste and mix well, add crab pieces and cook till medium done.
- Add chicken stock, Chinese rose wine, Shaoxing wine and rice wine. Season with salt and sugar. Cook till crab done.
- Add basil leaves, stir fry till the leaves turn soft and transfer to plate.
- Sprinkle chopped Chinese parsley on top and serve.
- Crabs can be substituted with mantis shrimp, shellfish, clam or shrimp.
- This dish goes well with rice noodles, udon, rice vermicelli, dough stick or instant noodles, as the noodles will soak up the soup’s flavour perfectly.